Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Last Day in Russia

OK, I know I've been home two and a half weeks and so this isn't very timely, but I did still want to share our experiences on Arbat Street our last day in Russia. It was such a fun evening! Even though we didn't have a lot of time (we had flown from Astrakhan that morning and didn't get to the hotel until about 3pm) we ate at the McDonald's next to the hotel, then headed across the street to the Metro Station. We had to ride farther than when we went to Red Square earlier in the week, but we figured it out! We bought paintings of Russia from a lady vendor on the street, beautiful paintings! We also bought some Matroishka dolls from a man who looks like Santa. My dad got ones that looked like Father Frost, the Snow Maiden, etc. and I got a large traditional and a smaller traditional set. The man lets you take his picture if you buy something, so we each had our picture taken with him. In the picture he is holding one he painted that looks just like himself! We shopped in a bunch of stores along the street and looked at all the merchandise the vendors were selling on the street. I found the coolest things for my boys! There was a booth selling soccer uniforms from Russian professional soccer teams! I bought them each a red uniform. We were told that team was currently in second place and that the two different players shirts he gave me were both 'very good players'. I had no way of knowing if he was just telling us that or if it was true, but I didn't really care because they looked cool and I knew the boys would love them. Anyway, when we got home the boys and I looked up the players on the internet and found they are very good players! We printed off all sorts of information on them, a team picture, and an individual picture of each, and we found YouTube clips on them to watch! They LOVED it! They took the jerseys and information along with sister's picture and some rubles to show their class. Also on Arbot Street were several street performers. Most of them were really good. There were some guys singing apparently some comedy type skit/song because everyone gathered around was laughing and laughing; I filmed them for awhile. There was another group not on that street, but on our way back to the subway that was SO good! They had keyboard, drums, guitar, singing. I play that video clip over and over, it's such a catchy tune. I hope when we go back they are there as I'd like to find out if they have CDs for sale; I would so buy one from them. We ate at Hard Rock Cafe there. They were the first, well-only, place that had ICE for our drinks!!! The server asked when I ordered a Coke if I wanted ice, so I enthusiastically answered YES! (If you didn't already know, they don't use ice in Russia. Sometimes the soda is cold, but never on ice. Sometimes it's not even cold.)My dad and I decided that if you were in Moscow and only had time to go to one place; either the Red Square or Arbot Street, it would be a tough call. Red Square is full of history and going in St. Basil's was great, but Arbot Street was just FUN! So, if you go, try your hardest to get to both places!

No comments: