Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Rest of Day 6

AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING....

#1 no thumb sucking attempts for over 24 hours
#2 no regurgitating food for over 24 hours
#3 goes to bed without complaint (naps and nighttime)
#4 loves to brush her teeth
#5 TELLS us when she has to go potty and goes on a regular basis!

I really can't believe the bedtime thing, I mean she gives us hugs and kisses, she holds her arms up for Wade to put her in the bed, then she lays down and after a little while-she's out! No crying, whining, we don't even need to pat her back anymore! We do stay close by and I think she knows we're there, but that's it!

I think we finally have a routine, and that really helps. She gets up about 8, calls out "Mama" so we know she's up, goes potty, washes her hands (which she loves!), plays for awhile while we get ready, we get her ready, we go down the hall to eat, she eats a lot (1 and a half hot dogs, a yogurt, a piece of bread and a piece of cheese for breakfast today) and is well behaved for meals (still working on the NOISE of eating with her mouth open), we come back to the room to play more,potty a few times, have lunch (ham and cheese sandwich, banana, milk, 1/2 granola bar with dried fruits and nuts in it today), go down for a nap with no complaints, sleep for two hours!, go potty, play while we get ready to walk to dinner, get her ready to walk to dinner, walk about 30 to 40 minutes to a restaurant, eat, she's very well behaved at the restaurant looking at her photo album or playing with the toy animals we bring (had a chicken salad off the children's menu tonight-basically shredded chicken and cucumbers), walk 30 minutes to an hour back depending on how much of it we let her walk and how much of it we push her in the stroller, play, potty, bath, brush teeth, watch a short show (Little Einsteins tonight), then bed with no complaints!

I almost hate to go to Moscow now because it will mess up the schedule and things will be new again and I'm not sure how it will go. Then, I'm sure once we're home, we'll go through some problems again until she gets used to that!

New things for today...
...using the Crayola Color Magic Finger Paints that only show on their special paper. I painted on a piece and she painted on another piece, and then she carried them around all day. She rolled them up and used them as drumsticks, she unrolled them and pretended to read them, they entertained her for a large part of the day.
....PlayDoh! She liked this! We rolled it out with one of the cylinder building blocks and then stamped it with one of the stacking cups (they have an animal on the bottom of each cup) to see what animal it would make. Then she broke it up and put pieces into the cups, then she took a long rectangular building block and pretended to stir the playdoh in the cup and dump it into a new cup like she was cooking or something! I was rolling out strips and weaving them while she played 'baking'. When I finished, I held it up for Wade to see and she went wild! Yay!! Yay, Mama!!! she yelled and clapped! She seemed to have a name for what I had made and pointed and called it something (can't remember what)over and over. I was very surprised at her reaction, but it was very nice Playdoh weaving if I say so myself!
....holds the yogurt cup and spoon herself; I had been feeding her the yogurt, it seems so messy, but today we let her try it herself. We only had to remind her once to hold the cup with her right hand while using the spoon in her left (yes, we're about positive that she is left handed). We also thought she might take too big of bites, but for the most part she didn't
....Kind of 'played along' with Little Einstiens, patting and clapping and raising her arms when they said too.
....says, "Mama, kiki" and motions with her hand for me to follow her when she needs to go to the bathroom. We've now gone from holding it 20 hours to going every 10 minutes though. We think she's smart enough to have figured out that since we've given her a cookie every time she's gone, that if she goes a lot, she'll get a lot of cookies! So, now we're not giving her a cookie every time-it has to be about an hour after the last time to get the cookie.

Hmmm...I'm sure there's more, but nothing else is popping into my mind.

I do wish she'd learn my name though! Sometimes I'm Mama, but about half the time I'm Papa, or a word I don't recognize. But, Dada is always Dada. In the pictures I'll point to Wade and she'll say 'Dada', I'll point to her and she says some word that means 'boys'and I'll point to me and she usually says, 'papa'. So we just keep correcting her and saying 'Mama'. She follows Wade around everywhere calling Dada. She follows him around holding his shoes if she wants to go out, stacks books on top of him while he's watching TV, jumps in front of him and shouts 'boo!', etc. He's really been out-of-this-world-great with her. I knew he'd be good with her, but he's been 10 times as great with her as I even thought he'd be!!!

AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING!!!

5 comments:

Kathy and Family said...

It really is all amazing and so much fun to read about. Sounds like someone has a little "love affair" going with her new Dada. That is so special!! Amy, you are an amazing mama, also. Just in case I don't get to "comment" again before you leave...many blessings to the three of you as you begin your journey home.

Don & Dina Printz - Grandparents said...

Amy & Wade,
What an exciting adventure that you are both on, not for just yourselves but your mission for God and the little children of the world! We both can't wait until evening time comes, Don turns the TV on and I go to the lap top and start my adventures reading the adoption blogs! When commericals come then I read about the cute things that you and your family are doing in Russia, we laugh, cry and pray for you all.
You both are awesome parents and are doing well attaching to your precious little girl! GOD is gooood and blessing your family with great rewards!
Monica, at "Take 2" is our daughter and we too are so excited to meet our new 8th and 9th grand children! They are our precious gifts of this world!

The Smiths said...

She's a Daddy's Girl! Sister is, too. She wants Brant to do everything. Unless it's broken, or dirty, or messed up...then it's "Mama!!"

I'm really happy that things are going so great for y'all. It's amazing the difference a routine makes.

Deb diZ said...

Amy,

Glad things seem to be going so well. Having a routine certainly helps and like you said, I'm sure you'll have to get back into a routine once you return home. I'm sure the boys and your parents can't wait to meet Jill for the first time. Everyone has been coming in and checking on how things are going with you guys and loving to look at the picture of you, Wade and Jill. Can't wait to see you back on this side of the pond.

Love to you all,

Deb diZ

Carolynn and Steve said...

So glad to hear that things are going so well---I hope that the move to Moscow doesn't throw things off too much! God's blessings as you continue your "journey"!